Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Star Wars News
Welcome to Port Haven! We started as a refugee camp for homeless Star Wars fans. Now we welcome you to join our community. We discuss everything from the intricate details of the Galaxy Far, Far Away to many more general topics in entertainment, world events, and silliness.

Join Port Haven!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What was the last comic you read?
Topic Started: 10th September 2012 - 11:50 PM (2,276 Views)
Grand Admiral Sean8
Member Avatar
太上天皇
I trust the thread title is fairly self-explanatory.

Infinite Kung Fu. It's pretty crazy, but not at all self-conscious or parodic, which is refreshing. McLeon's inking has a beautiful calligraphic quality that really suits the material.
"Now we must go. Think well on the things we have not told you, and remember what you have not been shown." - Gene Wolfe, The Book of the New Sun

祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。- 平家物語
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mad Wook
Member Avatar

I thought we had a general comic discussion? Just sayin. It's your show though.

So is that by anyone we may have heard of?
Once you go Wook, you always take another look.

Grand Admiral Sean8
Member Avatar
太上天皇
I thought we had a general comic discussion?

True, but this is more of a "List what you're reading now/just finished reading"-type thread. I noticed today that Comics is the only A&E forum that doesn't have such a thread.

So is that by anyone we may have heard of?

He actually did a Star Wars Tales story about Mace Windu called "Survivors" -- the one where Mace tracks down and kills a dictator.

(Which is kind of odd for a Jedi, now that I think about it -- especially for the Jedi who later forbade any Knights to assassinate Separatist leaders. Continuity!)
"Now we must go. Think well on the things we have not told you, and remember what you have not been shown." - Gene Wolfe, The Book of the New Sun

祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。- 平家物語

Mad Wook
Member Avatar

Lol. Right. Silly Star Wars.

Well Before Watchmen and various SW titles are all I've been reading lately and they both have their own threads. I'd like to pick up some more of those old G.I.Joe/Marvel/Hama trades when I get the money again. And some Batman trades too.

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
I've picked up a bunch of the #0 issues that DC has put out in the last few weeks but I haven't read them yet.
(↑) (↑) (↓) (↓) (←) (→) (←) (→) (B) (A)

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
Read all the New 52 Justice League issues.

In case you're wondering, Aquaman is still lame.

Mad Wook
Member Avatar

Lol. Not on The Brave and the Bold cartoon. ;)

Grand Admiral Sean8
Member Avatar
太上天皇
A whole bunch:

Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites

Endlessly amusing, really tightly-plotted supernatural yarns. It's tempting to attribute its charm just to the fact that the protagonists are animals, but I think there's something more than that. Maybe the way the characters' personalities manifest in their breeds? I'm not sure. I'm afraid I didn't much care for the watercolor art, which varies between tight and loose even within panels.

Koko Be Good

I think it's the first comic I've seen to treat the topic of First World guilt in more or less even-handed terms, so I'd give it a lot of points just for having a unique perspective on adolescence in a medium that's defined by fixation on adolescence. Also for lines like "Be the first to save the world in killer hot pants!" and "I'm coming, Mexicans!" Really good art, too; they have the energy of manga but with more individualized faces. There are face and body types here that we've all seen in real life but that I've seldom seen illustrated.

Revolver

Certainly one of the best graphic novels of the year, and one of the most structurally ambitious I think I've ever read. Based on the first few pages I was afraid it would be a Wanted-type story -- you know, the modern workplace is so soul-crushing, so our only escape is in living out psychotic fantasies -- but it's so much more emotionally complex than that. It's not the first story or even the first comic to have the narrator shuffle between realities, but it is the first I've ever seen deal with the question of how badly that type of situation would disrupt with your ability to take anything seriously -- and how difficult it would be to choose between realities.

Athos in America

Shockingly poor collection from Jason. He's one of the most consistently excellent artists in the medium, but I don't think there's a single story here that stands up to...every other thing he's ever done? What drives his work, I think, is the combination of direct plots and strangely opaque characters; here, he's removed the former element, with the result that you get oddities like the title story, in which Athos simply talks about his adventures to a bartender instead of having adventures. The self-insert story would be amusing with its improbable depiction of Jason as an out-of-control celebrity, but it's kind of scattershot.

Grand Admiral Sean8
Member Avatar
太上天皇
Leviathan

That rarest of rarities: a truly original horror story. It's wonderfully efficient, which is something I appreciate in a medium where too many authors confuse constant action for a sense of purpose. It's also beautifully designed graphically and conceptually.

The Broox
Member Avatar
is the Internet
Sandman: Endless Nights

It didn't add much to the Sandman mythos but it was an enjoyable read.

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

In case you're wondering, Aquaman is still lame

the guy gets no love, I swear......
-"My Life, the war that never ends.."

Mad Wook
Member Avatar

Fish love.

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
The Jedi Rockstar
18th January 2013 - 01:43 PM
In case you're wondering, Aquaman is still lame

the guy gets no love, I swear......
Have you ever read any Aquaman? It's completely deserved.

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

yeah but the character isn't all that bad......I don't understand why no one likes him. Not saying he's the greatest but he certainly isn't the worst
Edited by The Jedi Rockstar, 18th January 2013 - 11:29 PM.
-"My Life, the war that never ends.."

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
yeah but the character isn't all that bad

Yeah cause talking with fish is really cool ;)

Not saying he's the greatest but he certainly isn't the worst

True. He's not the worst character out there by a long shot. However, when compared to the rest of the Justice League, it is obvious that he is a much inferior character.

Mad Wook
Member Avatar

The Broox
Member Avatar
is the Internet
Just finished the most recent Fables TPB Cubs in Toyland. Not at all what I was expecting going in and I am still not quite sure how I feel about it. I loved Inherit the Wind and while this is in the same vein I feel very conflicted.

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
All-Star Batman and Robin.

It's way better than I thought it would be. I guess I should have known better with Frank Miller, though. And as much as "I'm the goddamn Batman" has become cliche, I must admit it was hilarious and great.

Posted Image

NerdyGeek
Member Avatar

Hawkeye #10 by Matt Fraction
Check Out http://www.thenerdcave.com/ for tons of awesome content from the world of Games, Comics, TV, Film and Books!

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
I've gotten into American Vampire lately. Anyone else read it?

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Comics · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: