Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Star Wars News
Welcome to Port Haven! We started as a refugee camp for homeless Star Wars fans. Now we welcome you to join our community. We discuss everything from the intricate details of the Galaxy Far, Far Away to many more general topics in entertainment, world events, and silliness.

Join Port Haven!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Movies You Like/Dislike That Everyone Else Dislikes/Likes; Confusing topic titles are confusing.
Topic Started: 26th July 2011 - 06:53 PM (20,865 Views)
WildKarrde
Member Avatar
Cyborg Assassin
So, I thought this would make for some interesting discussion.

Basically, this is the place to share the movies you love that it seems like everyone else hates, and movies you hate that it seems like everyone else loves.

I'll start:

I actually really like "The Village," and I don't understand the hate it gets. Okay, actually, I sort of do--the end twist is a bit lame. But everything before that is just mesmerizing. It's poetic, beautiful, the cinematography is very nice, and it's actually genuinely scary in places.

As for a movie I dislike... Okay, here comes the controversy. I despise "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." It just bugs the crap out of me. I can't stand Ferris Bueller as a character. Maybe it's because I've known so many people like him, and they are not so fun in real life, but he just seemed to have few if any particularly redeeming traits. It's not a badly made movie, but I didn't find it to be as fun or funny as everyone else seems to.

So, yeah, that's a start. Feel free to tear me to shreds and then share some of your own. ;)
The Artist Formerly Known as Thunder 1347

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

I
CANNOT

stand V for Vendetta. I found it to be a political piece of trash that was a complete waste of my time and I don't get the hype over it.
Edited by The Jedi Rockstar, 26th July 2011 - 06:59 PM.
-The ability to speak does not make you intelligent

Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
Personally, I love The Invisible. It might even be one of my favorite movies of all time. I think people just misunderstand it as a love story, when it's not. I think it's deep. There's so many motifs and stylistic elements that just work perfectly with the theme of "being seen", but people write it off as a stupid teen angst film, whereas I could probably write a whole paper about it. It also suffered from poor marketing; the trailer used scenes that weren't even used in the film, and used a voice over that said that he had to "solve his own death to get another chance to live" despite the fact that the film has nothing to do with that, and there's no mystery to solve. I'd seriously consider forcing y'all to watch it one week for the PHFS, that's how much I think this movie is underrated.

And for movies I dislike that everyone else likes: Inception is so overrated, but it's probably the fans that ruin it for me most. They think it's mind blowing, and there's nothing to blow your mind with. It's original sure, but the story relies entirely on facts and rules that you're just supposed to accept (not that it's always a bad thing, I like Donnie Darko). When I tell people that I didn't think it was all that, I get "you just didn't get it!" but more often than not those people didn't even "get" the little there was to get. /rant
"And when I saw only one set of footprints, the LORD said Sandpeople travel in single file, to hide their numbers."
-- Kenobi 19:77

Bobavader
Member Avatar

I hate Star Wars.

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST
Edited by Grand Admiral Sean8, 26th July 2011 - 07:44 PM.
This is my signature.

Rancor Breath
Member Avatar
Don't Fear The Reaver
I can't stand any Willy Wonka movie. I don't know why, but watching them makes me feel like ants are crawling under my skin. I literally have to leave the room if its on. Weird, but nonetheless the truth. ;)

I don't like Braveheart or The Patriot, which, in some ways, are the same movie set in different times.

I have no idea if these are movies that everyone else dislikes, but I liked Signs and Lady in the Water. The Man Who Knew Too Little is one of my favorite Bill Murray movies.
_________
Jayne Cobb on the chain of command: "It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Brandon
Member Avatar

I'm the same way with Willy Wonka. Those damn Oompa Loompas make me want to kill something.

Also: Primer. Just didn't like it. It's clever, sure, but it did nothing for me as a movie.

Amazing Mayzie
Member Avatar

The Village was alright, but it was advertised like it was going to be a thriller or a horror movie, which it most certainly was not.

I was surprised by Arachnophobia as well. When I went to see it I thought it was going to be a comedy and boy was I wrong.

For movies that a lot of people like that I just can't into:
The Matrix (any of them)
Legends of the Fall (total guy movie)
Master and Commander (again, total guy movie)
and anything by Quentin Tarantino

Movies that I love all by myself include:
Dead Again (a period piece done in the early '90s with Emma Thompson and her then husband Kenneth Brannaugh)
Pride and Prejudice (the mini series... well lot's of women love this but men seem to hate it)
Bridget Jones' Diary (same thing)

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's what comes to mind now.

Rancor Breath
Member Avatar
Don't Fear The Reaver
Another one I like is The Spanish Prisoner. It's not so much that most people don't like it as it is that most people have never heard of it. It's a mystery and the first time you watch it, the first half hour will seem boring. But by the end, you will realize how much was really happening during the first half hour, and then you'll want to watch it again. ;)

Another obscure movie I really like is The Emperor's New Clothes, staring Ian Holm as Napoleon.
Edited by Rancor Breath, 26th July 2011 - 09:53 PM.
_________
Jayne Cobb on the chain of command: "It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Xenophon
Member Avatar
Former Worst Mod
300 may be the stupidest movie of this generation as far as I'm concerned.

On the other hand, I thought The Spirit was great, which puts me in an infinitesimally small minority. I mean, come on...it's clearly supposed to be funny.
Queen Elizabeth has 10 times the lifespan of workers and lays up to 2,000 eggs a day. - Reuters

There is nothing salacious about my love of frolicking bunnygirls! - Sean R. Moorhead

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

300 may be the stupidest movie of this generation as far as I'm concerned.

i agree. What an overhyped letdown

Xenophon
Member Avatar
Former Worst Mod
Yeah. Sean says the comic is better, but I'm loath to try it.
Queen Elizabeth has 10 times the lifespan of workers and lays up to 2,000 eggs a day. - Reuters

There is nothing salacious about my love of frolicking bunnygirls! - Sean R. Moorhead

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

the actual story of the 300 Spartans is better than any comic that mocks it.

WildKarrde
Member Avatar
Cyborg Assassin
Rancor Breath
26th July 2011 - 08:31 PM
I can't stand any Willy Wonka movie. I don't know why, but watching them makes me feel like ants are crawling under my skin. I literally have to leave the room if its on. Weird, but nonetheless the truth. ;)
I get a similar feeling with the Tim Burton remake. The original doesn't have that same overly bizarre quality to it, but it still doesn't captivate me the way it does others.

Mayzie--agree on "The Matrix." Not that it's terrible or anything, but the characters are simply so flat that I just cannot get into it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Thunder 1347

Bobavader
Member Avatar

I am going to chime in on the Matrix dislike.

I like Krull for some reason.
This is my signature.

Ifalna Athha
Member Avatar
Jedi Consular/Jedi Healer
For some reason, I didn't like Titanic. -.-
"I just want to be free in my world."

Grand Admiral Sean8
Member Avatar
太上天皇
I know that Breakfast at Tiffany's is supposed to be fluffy, but it strikes me as being fluffy to the point of complete vapidity. Most of the actual romantic scenes ("Oh, I'm going to share your bed for purely platonic reasons!") are wince-inducing.

And then there's Mickey Rooney; I trust I need not elaborate upon his role. :|

Also...as much as I admire Andrei Tarkovsky, Solaris, his most famous film, just doesn't work for me. It's mystifying, yes, but in ways that strike me as merely annoying than intellectually challenging -- for instance, the lazy-eyed camera.
"Now we must go. Think well on the things we have not told you, and remember what you have not been shown." - Gene Wolfe, The Book of the New Sun

祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。- 平家物語

Grand Admiral Sean8
Member Avatar
太上天皇
As far as films I like that other people dislike...

I know it's not quite universally hated, but I think The Fearless Vampire Killers may be Polanski's most underrated film. It's silly, yes, but it's also unbelievably gorgeous.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is, in my opinion, the best-looking, most moving, and most genuinely funny comedy of the last decade.
"Now we must go. Think well on the things we have not told you, and remember what you have not been shown." - Gene Wolfe, The Book of the New Sun

祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。- 平家物語

Solo Cup
Member Avatar

Everyone seems to be enthralled by anything that comes out of the un-original money driven mind of James Cameron, but I hated Titanic and thought that the only redeeming thing about Avatar were the special effects. Clearly it was meant to be a moneymaker, not a great cinematic art. But everyone talked about it like it was the greatest thing ever. Meh.

I can't get into many movies that people seem to love, it would be a long list, really.

I did like Signs though, I don't know why some people dislike that one. I also do not understand why so many people actually like the Harry Potter movies. I am a big fan of the books, but I found the movies boring, bordering on unwatchable most of the time. And the rest of the time, I just found the acting by two of the main characters so bad, that it took me out of the moment. In fact, much of the acting was so terrible that I found myself constantly laughing at parts that were supposed to be serious.
Rest in peace Lorin "Mad Wook" Crenshaw: 1975 - 2014

Grand Admiral Sean8
Member Avatar
太上天皇
It's probably a stretch to call any Kurosawa movie underrated -- the man's work is so monumental that each of his films has some enthusiastic defenders -- but I think that Sanjuro gets short shrift compared to Yojimbo.

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

Yojimbo was awesome.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Film and Television · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: