Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Star Wars News
Welcome to Port Haven! We started as a refugee camp for homeless Star Wars fans. Now we welcome you to join our community. We discuss everything from the intricate details of the Galaxy Far, Far Away to many more general topics in entertainment, world events, and silliness.

Join Port Haven!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ROTJ: What exactly is the plan to rescue Han?
Topic Started: 13th March 2018 - 03:11 AM (247 Views)
Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
Let’s break it down, what exactly is the plan to rescue Han from Jabba’s palace?

Inspired by this article:

http://uproxx.com/movies/what-was-lukes-plan-star-wars-return-of-the-jedi/
"And when I saw only one set of footprints, the LORD said Sandpeople travel in single file, to hide their numbers."
-- Kenobi 19:77
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

Luke was playing stupid just to fool Jabba I think he had every intention of killing Jabba right there on the throne, until he realized he was standing over a trapdoor.
Remember Luke was a Jedi at this point but he still wasn't Yoda or Kenobi level of skill so he truly overlooked the trapdoor. The fear on his face when the rancor comes out proves that. It was an "oh crap, this escalated quickly" moment.
He had every intention of killing Jabba on the throne, and probably Lando would have made a move too once the shooting started.

Or, basically, the way GL wrote it was the plan. Lucas never was one for explaining things.

This same example could also be used for Mace's rescue in AOTC.
In fact, make another thread for that one too.
Edited by The Jedi Rockstar, 13th March 2018 - 01:24 PM.
-The ability to speak does not make you intelligent

Phil_B32

There's a non-canon story about EV-9D9 that suggests that after Lando infiltrated the palace, he sabotaged Jabba's protocol droid and the serving droid for the sail barge. These are the two droids we see being "tortured". Next thing, Luke offers Jabba two droids, and look at that, there are two openings that they can just walk/roll into.

I think it's a safe assumption that Luke would have heard stories about Jabba feeding people to the Sarlacc in the almost 20 years he spent there. So the plan then is to get everyone together and outside the fortress where they have a greater chance of escaping than any plan inside the fortress could have.

I remember that there was a part in the novelisation where Yoda chides Luke for going to rescue Han with revenge in mind, that it wasn't a Jedi trait. That suggests that Luke never expected Jabba to agree to any terms. And if you think about it, he only gives him 2 droids in exchange for Han.

Han dumped a shipment, costing Jabba money, then ran off around the galaxy for 3-5 years before finally being caught. And Luke just offers him 2 droids? Jabba would never accept that, Solo had to be made an example of what happens to people who cross him. No. Luke was offering Jabba deals that he knew Jabba would never take, just so that he could then claim to himself that he'd given Jabba every chance. Yoda saw through that shit.
Twitter: @PhilBoycott

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
In my head, Luke, Leia, Chewie and Lando all had separate plans and never coordinated and just ended up in the same place at the same time.
‪Listen to me, Butterfly.‬
‪There is only so much wine‬
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬
‪It will never be enough‬
‪To save you from the bottom of your glass.‬
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Solopirate
Member Avatar

I'll admit, it wasn't the best laid plan, but it's simple, each plan was a fallback for the previous one if they failed.

Some other observations:
-The droids were just a "token" of good faith, not an exchange for Han.
-Leia needed to get close to Han to unfreeze him. Chewie got her in, plus she could make a few bucks along the way.
-Luke's intention was not to kill Jabba, but bargain. That's what Hutts do. Everything else wasn't clear, but the Force was with him, so he had that going for him.
-Lando probably didn't interview for the job, but snuck in and assumed the role to let the others know when and were things were going down and when to act.
-Han just hung around.

Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
Professor Jango
13th March 2018 - 01:58 PM
In my head, Luke, Leia, Chewie and Lando all had separate plans and never coordinated and just ended up in the same place at the same time.
There seems to be some plan at the end of ESB though. Luke tells Lando that they will meet at the rendezvous spot on Tatooine, but of course nearly a year goes by before they get to the palace. Who knows how long they were on Tatooine scouting the joint out and infiltrating with Lando? And Luke seems to have found it important to go get some training with Yoda in between films as well.

It seems unlikely to me that they didn't have a plan together.
"And when I saw only one set of footprints, the LORD said Sandpeople travel in single file, to hide their numbers."

Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
Solopirate
13th March 2018 - 02:17 PM
I'll admit, it wasn't the best laid plan, but it's simple, each plan was a fallback for the previous one if they failed.

Some other observations:
-The droids were just a "token" of good faith, not an exchange for Han.
-Leia needed to get close to Han to unfreeze him. Chewie got her in, plus she could make a few bucks along the way.
-Luke's intention was not to kill Jabba, but bargain. That's what Hutts do. Everything else wasn't clear, but the Force was with him, so he had that going for him.
-Lando probably didn't interview for the job, but snuck in and assumed the role to let the others know when and were things were going down and when to act.
-Han just hung around.
The droid thing is weird though. Was he really just going to give them the droids? I guess they are just droids...

Maybe he'd buy them all back with Han if Jabba was willing to bargain.

Most likely though, it was just about delivering the message for an audience and getting his lightsaber into the palace, even know they don't really have a weapons check policy.

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

I always assumed the plan was send the droids to smuggle in Luke's Lightsaber. Knowing he'd likely be detained if he showed up - since he probably didn't want to go in sabers blazing (otherwise... why not just do that?" - he gave it to R2. 3PO was just there because? Maybe so they could have a reliable translator?

Chewie was there to get Leia in. And then she was to get Han out of Carbonite. Perhaps it was their hope that Han and Chewie would end up in the same cell, if not, Chewie would be in the cell block in case Han got into trouble.

Lando was there as back up. And also probably fed them inside information before they came in.

Luke was honestly the distraction. If Jabba was thinking about Luke maybe Jabba wouldn't pay attention to Leia. Only that part of the plan failed.

Thus the failsafe with smuggling in the lightsaber.
Real love is never conditional.

Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
It's not a bad idea to assume that each failure was just to unlock a single piece of a giant puzzle, and is probably the closest thing we have to an answer.

Get Lando in as backup / scout.
Get the droids in to put the focus on Luke's arrival and sneak the saber in.
Get Chewie captured to get Leia in.
Get Leia captured to thaw out Han.
Then get Luke in to break em all out.

In theory, if any of the plans to get Han out worked, such as Leia as Boushh, in the commotion that followed Lando could break out the droids and Chewbacca, or be a part of a final backup plan.
Edited by Jey, 14th March 2018 - 09:43 AM.

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

I honestly thought my above idea was obvious.

Like, I've literally never considered that people had a problem with this sequence. I instinctually understood my idea, I didn't ever think about it.
Real love is never conditional.

Phil_B32

I think part of it is the internet overthinking things. There seems to be this small group of people who see something happen in a movie and then think that every single thing that happened was planned for by the character.

Sure, there are movies where that turns out to be the case, heist movies are usually good for that. But most plans will just have the basics outlined and then trust that the team members will be able to deal with any eventualities that arise.
Twitter: @PhilBoycott

Cipher
Member Avatar

The plan was for Luke and his friends to lure Jabba out in the desert so Luke could kill not just Jabba, but his servants and soldiers too (insert Anakin meme).

On a serious note, I think Luke first tried to negotiate with Jabba for a peaceful release by sending him two droids as gifts, if not, use use Leia to secretly retrieve Han. If both of the plans failed, he goes in to negoitate. He use violence as last resort.

« Previous Topic · Original and Prequel Trilogy · Next Topic »
Add Reply