Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Star Wars News
Welcome to Port Haven! We started as a refugee camp for homeless Star Wars fans. Now we welcome you to join our community. We discuss everything from the intricate details of the Galaxy Far, Far Away to many more general topics in entertainment, world events, and silliness.

Join Port Haven!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Naughty Dog's best game
Crash Bandicoot 2 (50%)
Jak and Daxter series 0 (0%)
Uncharted series 2 (50%)
The Last of Us (and Left Behind) 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 4
Naughty Dog thread; place your thoughts on the game developer here
Topic Started: 30th January 2018 - 07:28 PM (204 Views)
The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

to me, Naughty Dog tells the best stories in video games. Jak and Daxter was such an underrated hit and they certainly grew from there with Uncharted.
What's your favorite? Least favorite?
Gamers discuss here.
Edited by The Jedi Rockstar, 30th January 2018 - 07:29 PM.
-The ability to speak does not make you intelligent
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Farlis

Uncharted was phenomenal.
I only did see those on YouTube as I don't own a PS. But I still consider getting one just to play those games.
Granted it's a little too much shooting at first, but the story telling is top notch.

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

there is an option to do a more narrative style playthrough, with less shooting. That might be for you.

Farlis

I finally caved and bought a PS4 Pro. The Nathan Drake Collection is the first game I bought.

I just love those to death. What I espcially like is the little things that at first might go unnoticed. Such as the music not playing all the way through, like it does in so many games. In Uncharted the music follows the same rules as in film and TV. It is not simply ambience in the background like for exampe in The Witcher were there is music constantly.
In Uncharted you walk through tombs or a jungle and the only thing you hear is the wind, the reverb of the halls or the noises of the jungle. Great for atmosphere.

Farlis

Some more thoughts on the Uncharted series.
Is it just me or is Uncharted 3 a victim of the "always have to have more action" in sequels disease?
In my opinion it consists of expertly choreographed setpieces, that all work on their own, but fail to form a coherent whole.
It's all too much. For example, the entire part with the ship salvage yard and the cruise ship was completely unnecesarry to the story. You could cut it out completely, and you wouldn't even notice it was missing. Which is a good indicator that it should have been cut.

Then on the other hand there is the airplane crash in the desert which has to be one of the most visually stunning game experiences ever. The wide shot as you walk over the dunes, the endless sea of sand, it's all so perfectly captured and that entire journey through the desert is told in such a compelling way.
But then it has to end up in another wild shootout in the deserted settlement. Drake should be dehydrated and totally exhausted at that point. I would have prefered to have him rescued by Salim in the middle of the desert without a fight.
Edited by Farlis, 1st March 2018 - 06:47 PM.

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

3 is the best one. I will fight you to the death on this
Edited by The Jedi Rockstar, 2nd March 2018 - 04:45 PM.

The Dark Moose
Member Avatar
Or not.
Am I the only one left on the planet that loves Crash Bandicoot?

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time,
and your government when it deserves it.”

~ Mark Twain ~

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

oh no, that's where it started for them; in fact all 3 Crash games got remastered and re-released. But the first Naughty Dog endeavor for me was Jak and Daxter. Helluva platformer back then.
Edited by The Jedi Rockstar, 2nd March 2018 - 07:18 PM.

Farlis

The Jedi Rockstar
2nd March 2018 - 04:45 PM
3 is the best one. I will fight you to the death on this
The storytelling of two is far superior.
I'd say you could compare it to the difference between Skyfall and Spectre.
Both are among the best Bond movies, but Skyfall is so exceptionally good that Spectre had to come short.

Just compare for example the writing of Chloe. She is just in 3 because everybody loved her in 2. But compared to her first appearance she is just a sidekick without bite.
If she were written this way in 2 we would have never seen her again.
Edited by Farlis, 3rd March 2018 - 10:07 AM.

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

i look at the trilogy like Indiana Jones.
Uncharted 2 is like Temple of Doom: the darkest and the weakest but still has one of the best sequences ever ( aka, the mine cart/Drake's fight on the train) and Uncharted 3 is like Last Crusade, the pinnacle of storytelling with the most action.
I didn't like 2 other than the epic train sequence, because that's where the story leads for most of the game, sort of a "how did this happen" type deal. 2's boss was annoying, and the gun combat was a little ridiculous.
Uncharted 3 had so much going on it was mind blowing. It even follows the same format that Last Crusade does, imo.

To each his own but I'm just too hung up on 3 to see it any other way I guess. It was hard to top, but 4 did a phenomenal job following it, albeit that one had it flaws too

Farlis

Funny that you liken 2 to Temple of Doom, that's what I did with 3 in my head.
The boss fight of Uncharted 2 was annoying I agree. But at least it had a convincing bad guy. Lazarovich was scary as hell.
The villains in 3 are ridiculous.
What 3 did better was the riddles. The shadow riddle was great.
In general I would have prefered there to be more riddles, and a few more challenging ones.

By the way my favourite little dialogue from the entire series is from 3.

Sullivan to Charlie:
"Lead on Macduff!"
"Lay on... it's lay on Macduff"

And then after they have cleared the impass Drake butts in:
"Who the hell is Macduff"
"Is there no limit to your ignorance?"

I laughed so hard because the entire dialogue played so brilliantly with preconceptions one might have about Charlie just because he looks like a goon.
Unfortunately the german version totally changes the entire dialogue. I guess whoever was responsible either thought it would fly over the german audiences heads or he was equally ignorant as Drake and just didn't understand the reference.
Edited by Farlis, 5th March 2018 - 07:00 PM.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Technology · Next Topic »
Add Reply