Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Star Wars News
Welcome to Port Haven! We started as a refugee camp for homeless Star Wars fans. Now we welcome you to join our community. We discuss everything from the intricate details of the Galaxy Far, Far Away to many more general topics in entertainment, world events, and silliness.

Join Port Haven!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The X-Wing Series; (Novels and Comics)
Topic Started: 4th May 2011 - 09:23 AM (835 Views)
Tresk Im'nel
Member Avatar

It may be long past (aside from that three-issue comic series a few years back), but I still rank this series alongside the Thrawn Trilogy and the Republic Commando series as one of my top favourites in the EU.

I really wish they'd bring it back, or at least do something similar. For one thing, it was nice to finally step aside from the "Big Three" et al. and see some stories where other characters took the lead...I'd like to see them take that a step further and do a novel or series about a more "typical" fighter squadron, perhaps flying a less iconic craft (A-Wing: Polearm Squadron, anyone?) I know it'll never happen, but it's fun to dream... ;)
Edited by Master Optician, 4th May 2011 - 04:09 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

Have you heard about this yet?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Untitled_Wraith_Squadron_novel

So far I have read through the Wairth Squadron novel and love them! Stackpole sure is a character.... but a very entertain author. I read the comics via omnibus as well. Fantastic!

And this isn't long since past for me, I'm only half way through ;p
Real love is never conditional.

SwoopRacer
Member Avatar
sweetness!
*The opinions of this member are wholly his own and do not reflect any credible or knowledgeable individual. Any advice given or received should be taken with a grain of salt. Any such advice, comments, or overall bluster that is taken to heart should not be as this member can and has known to be full of "it". Any advice you choose to take and winds up being unsuccessful, this member is not responsible or liable for. Any such advice that works in your favor, this member will take credit for humbly and will do a victory dance. You have been warned.*

The Jedi Assassin
Member Avatar
Forum Jedi Assassin/Mixologist (Jedi Assassin 62)
This is how Corran Horn became one of my favorite EU characters!

I actually re read Wedge's Gamble about a month ago when I bought the ebook...hands down one of my favorite series.
"Never trust a bartender with bad grammar." ~ Kyle Katarn

"Equality is a lie...a myth to appease the masses. Simply look around and you will see the lie for what it is! There are those with power, those with the strength and will to lead. And then there are those meant to follow - those incapable of anything but servitude and a meager, worthless existance." - Darth Bane

" Through victory my chains are broken." - Code of the Sith

" Going to a car show and looking at the mini vans is like going to a strip club and looking at the DJ." - Chris Rock

hootieblah
Member Avatar
Avenger of Awesome
My sons name is Corran, so yeah, I'm a big fan of the X wing books. That might just be the next series I reread for the 10th time.
Inventor of the Bacon Tree, Destroyer of Arteries

Bandersnatch
Member Avatar

Reading X Wing Rogue Squadron comics for the first time, have all of the TPBs and afterwards im going straight into the novels. So far its a good series, Plourr Llo, Nrin, and Ibtisam are great characters, and the scenarios are well thought out.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the series? Like/dislike, important to the overall New Republic Era?

Ogriv83
Member Avatar

I havn't read the comics but the novels are excellent.

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

novels were really good. Allston's got another one coming next year I think
-The ability to speak does not make you intelligent

eddie

Both the comics and the novels are a great read!!!

Next year sees the release of X-Wing: Mercy Kill by Aaron Allston (Del Rey hardcover, coming August 7!)
check out a list of upcoming books and comics at www.starwarstimeline.com
join the Star Wars Upcoming Books & Comics Facebook page

Phil_B32

I just re-read the graphic novels, and they were good. Quite a few characters from those popped up in the novels later. I'm not sure if that's because the books and comics were made concurrently though. Either way, they were a good read.
Twitter: @PhilBoycott

Bandersnatch
Member Avatar

The comics act as a prequel to the novels if im not mistaken. I am almost done, I cant wait to read the novels, they sound amazing.

Phil_B32

oh yeah, the comics definitely come before the novels, but I was wondering if some were written at the same time.
Twitter: @PhilBoycott

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

I think they were.

Grand Admiral Sean8
Member Avatar
太上天皇
I think the majority of the Rogue Squadron comics are of middling quality, but few of them are really bad, which is some kind of achievement.

Once Stackpole took over scripting duties, my feelings toward the series became much more conflicted. On the one hand, he had the best idea of the kinds of stories that suited the series -- which is no surprise, since it was his creation. On the other hand, his comics craft was frankly abysmal. He'd lay out vast panels full of dialogue with no visible human figures -- the tails of the word bubbles would all point to the cockpits of spaceships and so on -- and you'd have to determine from context who said what. Yes, some artists can pull off that trick -- Hemingway did it in The Sun Also Rises -- but it's typically between two or three characters with very distinct voices.
"Now we must go. Think well on the things we have not told you, and remember what you have not been shown." - Gene Wolfe, The Book of the New Sun

祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。- 平家物語

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

He'd lay out vast panels full of dialogue with no visible human figures -

That is reminiscent of his pages and pages and pages of italics in his X-Wing books where the pilots were have deep man-thoughts about life and meaning and the meaning of life.

I love the man's writing but serious. Too much internal monologuing.

Bandersnatch
Member Avatar

The "bubbles to nowhere" are not that much of an irritation to me, I can figure it out. Later on you can usually guess who said what, or you can kinda just make up who said it. I do understand the annoyance though, and I do see that a lot in SW comics, the Thrawn Trilogy adaptation comics had it just as bad if I recall.

Acebat
Member Avatar

oh yeah, the comics definitely come before the novels, but I was wondering if some were written at the same time.

I think some were written before the books and some were written at the same time-the later ones with Soontir Fel etc etc.

Timeline wise I think theres about 2 years between the comics and the novels. The comics are approximately 1.5 years after ROTJ and the novels are 3.5 years after ROTJ.

Mad Wook
Member Avatar

Not to be an ass but I'm a continuity stickler. The comics are all within 4 to 5 ABY, between ROTJ and the Mindor novel. So from a couple weeks after Jedi to almost a year after. The novels cover from 6.5 to almost 8 ABY. So 2.5 to 4 years after Jedi. As far as real world release dates, the comic series started in July of '95 and issue 35 came out in November of '98. The novels started in January '96 and Solo Command came out in February of '99. So pretty much concurrently. Isard's Revenge & Starfighters of Adumar were also in '99 but come in at 9 ABY and 13 ABY respectively.
Once you go Wook, you always take another look.

nine-oh-seven
Member Avatar

i think that by far the x-wing novels are the best star wars novels written thus far. they are old, but it's star wars from a different angle (non-jedi!!) and it makes the star wars universe more relatable. we barely saw rogue squadron during the yuuzhan vong war so right there could be at least a few novels. Or, even as suggested in an earlier post, they could try out other starfighter squadrons in a spin-off series. maybe even a civilian fleet formed during the yuuzhan vong war. i think that would be pretty interesting.

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

yeah we had that, Mercy Kill. It was boring.
-The ability to speak does not make you intelligent

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Expanded Universe and Legends · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: