Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Star Wars News
Welcome to Port Haven! We started as a refugee camp for homeless Star Wars fans. Now we welcome you to join our community. We discuss everything from the intricate details of the Galaxy Far, Far Away to many more general topics in entertainment, world events, and silliness.

Join Port Haven!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
In Memoriam 2018
Topic Started: 4th January 2018 - 03:36 PM (1,573 Views)
Solopirate
Member Avatar

The USA lost our first soldier in combat this year on January 1, 2018...

Sgt. 1st Class Mihail Golin
Posted Image

On New Year's Day, a US special forces soldier was killed and four others were wounded in a firefight while they were on foot patrol in eastern Afghanistan.

Sgt. 1st Class Mihail Golin, a US Army Green Beret from Fort Lee, New Jersey, was on his fourth deployment when he was killed by enemy small-arms fire in Nangarhar Province, the Pentagon said on Wednesday. He was 34.

Golin enlisted in the US military in 2005, three months after immigrating from Riga, Latvia.
The first US combat death of 2018 may be a grim reminder of what lies ahead as the longest war in US history enters its 17th year.

Of the 31 US service members killed in war zones last year, 15 died in Afghanistan. Half of them died in combat operations in Nangarhar province, where Golin was killed on Monday. (Italicized text quoted from Buzzfeed.)

If I may speak on behalf of Port Haven, although we may not be able to honor individually everyone's sacrifice for our freedoms, please know that they are remembered, no matter what country they serve. We hope and pray the losses will be minimal for 2018.

Edited by Solopirate, 4th January 2018 - 03:37 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Farlis

If people would stop glorifying service in the military, perhaps less people would die.
Just saying...

Solopirate
Member Avatar

That may well make for a discussion in a new thread you are welcome to start, but this isn't the thread for "just saying" things like that.

Solopirate
Member Avatar

Jerry VanDyke, 86

He could read the phone book and make me laugh. RIP

Solopirate
Member Avatar

John Young - January 5th - Apollo 16 and STS-1

The Jedi Rockstar
Member Avatar

Ray Thomas, as i mention before, but also "Fast Eddie" Clark from Motorhead.
All three members of the original Motorhead are gone.
-The ability to speak does not make you intelligent

Opaque

Dolores O'Riordan of the Cranberries dead at 46

:_|

Farlis

Another victim of bipolar disorder....

storm
Member Avatar

That's too bad. I liked them.

Why Dubs
Member Avatar
Lord of the Boards & Basket Ball Wizard
Ingvar Kamprad, IKEA founder, passes away aged 91

Lets all agree there is no scenario where the words "here comes the monkey" can fail to pump you up - John Oliver

The Dark Moose
Member Avatar
Or not.
Soo much stuff from Ikea in my house. RIP.

An appropriate tombstone would have a pictogram that instructs "Insert here". Sorry...you know the memes are coming though.

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time,
and your government when it deserves it.”

~ Mark Twain ~

Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
Instead of coins and flowers at his grave everyone should leave the left over pieces from that IKEA desk that probably was supposed to be used somewhere between steps 7-12 I think, actually I don’t even know where this wood thingy was supposed to have gone is it supposed to be extra? and was I supposed to use this screw there was only one of them and nowhere in the directions did it say to use it but the desk seems stable for now...
Edited by Jey, 28th January 2018 - 08:20 PM.
"And when I saw only one set of footprints, the LORD said Sandpeople travel in single file, to hide their numbers."
-- Kenobi 19:77

Fez wearing Porg
Member Avatar
Formerly known as YodaPilot on the old forums. Future Port-Haven EMT, Port Haven Protector of Avatar-Related Jokes, 'Liker' of every last muthafuckin other post
It was all a plan, people will do that and he will use all of those random parts to assemble his robot body so he can rise from the dead.
We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people all through our lives. And that’s okay. That’s good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be.- 11th Doctor

Your past doesn't define who you are. Just gives you the starting point for who you're going to be.- Agent Carolina

*Sticks*
Member Avatar
Proper Cannibal, Formerly
One of the proudest moments of my life was when me and my mum managed to assemble a bookcase without any help from dad (#feminism)... one of the saddest was when we heard the crash from upstairs a few minutes later :(
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
Underwood has had Freddy’s ribs for the last time.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/reg-cathey-dead-dies-the-wire-house-of-card-1202694366/
"And when I saw only one set of footprints, the LORD said Sandpeople travel in single file, to hide their numbers."
-- Kenobi 19:77

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
Well that had happened already for several reasons. But, that is a very sad loss. A great actor.
‪Listen to me, Butterfly.‬
‪There is only so much wine‬
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬
‪It will never be enough‬
‪To save you from the bottom of your glass.‬

Farlis

Johann Johannson

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/10/theory-of-everything-composer-johann-johannsson-dies-at-48

Solopirate
Member Avatar

Daryle Bruce Singletary (March 10, 1971 – February 12, 2018)

I'm not big on country music, but being from Nashville, I know he was big around these parts. RIP

Solopirate
Member Avatar

Vic Damone

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
Rev. Billy Graham, 99
‪Listen to me, Butterfly.‬
‪There is only so much wine‬
‪You can drink‬