Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Star Wars News
Welcome to Port Haven! We started as a refugee camp for homeless Star Wars fans. Now we welcome you to join our community. We discuss everything from the intricate details of the Galaxy Far, Far Away to many more general topics in entertainment, world events, and silliness.

Join Port Haven!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Thrawn (novel); Learn about art, Captain
Topic Started: 16th July 2016 - 04:09 PM (1,816 Views)
YodaBauer
Member Avatar

Coming spring 2017.

Posted Image

Link (Also possible spoilers for Rebels Season 3.)
Real love is never conditional.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
Super pumped about this!
‪Listen to me, Butterfly.‬
‪There is only so much wine‬
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬
‪It will never be enough‬
‪To save you from the bottom of your glass.‬

rpm285sm
Member Avatar

I'm cautiously excited. He's one of my favorite authors but I haven't liked his SW work since Survivor's Bargain and I wasn't wowed since the Thrawn Dulogy. I hope he's allowed to stretch his boundaries and do something really awesome this time.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
He'll have basically an all-new playground to play in for the first time since Heir. I have high hopes
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬

*Sticks*
Member Avatar
Proper Cannibal, Formerly
Oh, I don't know how I feel about this...

I'm not a huge fan of Zahn's writing style, but his books and characters pretty much define my fandom. So it's kind of good. But I'd also rather they just left the EU alone, and built a seperate universe

I wonder if he'll have the same background. Or even the same name?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

twittle
Member Avatar
Mr. Big Latin Words Man!
and I wasn't wowed since the Thrown Dulogy

I thought it sucked. Only SW books I actually got rid of after reading. Been so long since I read it that it's like it never existed now.

I did like Scoundrels well enough, though.

I said it before, I think he's pretty good at crafting a plot, but I don't like the way he uses language--he's to dependent on pet words.

With respect to this novel and the whole oeuvre, I guess I'm probably in the minority: I found Thrawn to be annoying. He's an uninteresting caricature. He's not why I liked the trilogy (which I loved when it came out and still re-read occasionally to this day).

I may read this, I may not. It's certainly not something that makes my heart flutter.
Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten...

Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

SwoopRacer
Member Avatar
Is this the first EU character to be used since the legends transition?
*The opinions of this member are wholly his own and do not reflect any credible or knowledgeable individual. Any advice given or received should be taken with a grain of salt. Any such advice, comments, or overall bluster that is taken to heart should not be as this member can and has known to be full of "it". Any advice you choose to take and winds up being unsuccessful, this member is not responsible or liable for. Any such advice that works in your favor, this member will take credit for humbly and will do a victory dance. You have been warned.*

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

Wedge was in Aftermath. So I think he counts as the first. Unless you count inclusions in The Clone Wars, the Nightsisters and such. While that was before the New U it is material that remained canon.

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

Wait. Wedge was in the movies. I always forget that.

I mean, what does he even do?

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
I'm sure there are other minor characters that are mentioned here and there that have come up, but, as I'm not a continuity stickler, I'm not certain.

I've always had a hard time separating EU from film characters in my head too, which is probably mostly because I never read any TOR stuff or much stuff beyond the NJO time period.
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

its tough for me to remember too because sometimes it's not so much a character but a characterization that appears. Like Depa Bilaba is a movie character, but the Kanan comics hint at parts of her character that are 100% EU.

I think ships or planets have been recononized via Rebels already. Thrawn might be the first purely EU character (of importance anyway) that is canon again. (Assuming you're not counting Nightsisters or Rupublic Commandos or Darth Bane and the like from TCW.)

SwoopRacer
Member Avatar
(Assuming you're not counting Nightsisters or Rupublic Commandos or Darth Bane and the like from TCW.)

Kinda yeah. I haven't been able to keep up on the Rebels TV show.
*The opinions of this member are wholly his own and do not reflect any credible or knowledgeable individual. Any advice given or received should be taken with a grain of salt. Any such advice, comments, or overall bluster that is taken to heart should not be as this member can and has known to be full of "it". Any advice you choose to take and winds up being unsuccessful, this member is not responsible or liable for. Any such advice that works in your favor, this member will take credit for humbly and will do a victory dance. You have been warned.*

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
Excerpt released today
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

I can't read the article for some reason.

twittle
Member Avatar
Mr. Big Latin Words Man!
I may have to read this one...
Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten...

Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

rpm285sm
Member Avatar

I'll read it if it's primarily about Thrawn. If it digs into Rebels stuff I'm out. But from that excerpt it feels like it could fit into the old EU seamlessly

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

Thrawn only appears in the Rebels part of the timeline as of now, I'm pretty sure this novel is pre-ANH. But I doubt it will be tough to follow even if some of the Rebel characters show up. It's probably the Imperial side of that conflict.

But I mean, it doesn't fit into Legends seamlessly. In Legends Thrawn isn't an Admiral at this time I don't believe.

You know.

Not that that should stop you or anything.

Because you know.

You can have multiple fictional universes. ;)

rpm285sm
Member Avatar

You know.

Not that that should stop you or anything.

Because you know.

You can have multiple fictional universes.

But I don't like multiple versions of the same fictional universe. That's part of why I don't do comics and why I can't get deep into Star Trek.

I'm happy for the people it works for but I have no interest in that in my fiction.

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
For me it's just a question of quality. And having read almost every single new canon book, the vast majority of them have been some of the best Star Wars novels I've ever read.

And it was very hit or miss with legends books for a loooooong time.

Additionally, despite whatever protestations we might make about preferring a single cohesive continuity, let's not seriously pretend that the old canon was that. It overwrote itself so often that LFL had people whose entire jobs were basically parsing out different levels of canon so that it at least appeared to make sense.
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬

CloakedHandmaiden
Member Avatar

twittle
17th July 2016 - 11:20 AM

I said it before, I think he's pretty good at crafting a plot, but I don't like the way he uses language--he's to dependent on pet words.
You mean, like

"They're trying something cute", he gritted.

I get hyper sensitive about things like that, to the point where I want to throw the book at the wall. I was maybe two thirds into The Green and the Gray - which is absolutely fabulous by the way - and I commented to myself, hey! Zahn hasn't used any of those words yet, and on the very next page, there were most of them.
I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war - Queen Amidala
We must keep our faith in democracy - Queen Jamillia.
The Resistance will not be intimidated by you!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Expanded Universe and Legends · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: