Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Star Wars News
Welcome to Port Haven! We started as a refugee camp for homeless Star Wars fans. Now we welcome you to join our community. We discuss everything from the intricate details of the Galaxy Far, Far Away to many more general topics in entertainment, world events, and silliness.

Join Port Haven!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Topic Started: 7th July 2015 - 09:03 PM (13,152 Views)
Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
We're getting a young Han Solo film, slated to come out May 25th, 2018, and directed by the guys who did the Lego movie.

http://www.starwars.com/news/christopher-miller-and-phil-lord-to-helm-han-solo-anthology-film
"And when I saw only one set of footprints, the LORD said Sandpeople travel in single file, to hide their numbers."
-- Kenobi 19:77
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
I think it can be fun. I have more worries about this than about Rogue One though.
‪Listen to me, Butterfly.‬
‪There is only so much wine‬
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬
‪It will never be enough‬
‪To save you from the bottom of your glass.‬
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
I'm wondering if it will be a live action movie aimed toward a younger crowd.
"And when I saw only one set of footprints, the LORD said Sandpeople travel in single file, to hide their numbers."

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

They also did 21 Jump Street though, no reason to assume a kids movie.

Plus Kasdan on script.

I'm all in. Whatever LucasFilm throws at me I'm ready for. I was only overjoyed when I read this announcement earlier today.
Real love is never conditional.

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
Don't get me wrong. I'm still excited. I'm just more cautious about this than anything else so far.
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬

Solopirate
Member Avatar

My only concern is that Harrison Ford is so iconic as Han solo, how could there possible be anyone that could pull that off? I am not usually negative toward this sort of thing, but my life has centered around this character and I'm I see this as a mistake.

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

Well, they're going younger. Probably young enough that Harrison Ford wouldn't have played him if they made this in 1977. I think that will help.

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
It's mostly the Young Indiana Jones stuff that bothers me about this. I never liked any of that and I'm hoping this won't be the same.

I don't think it will be the same. I'm just cautious.
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬

WildKarrde
Member Avatar
Cyborg Assassin
Professor Jango
7th July 2015 - 10:56 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm still excited. I'm just more cautious about this than anything else so far.
The involvement of Phil Lord and Chris Miller has me in completely the opposite direction — I'm more certain about this project than any other upcoming Star Wars movie except for the one Rian Johnson is directing. Lord and Miller are fantastic screenwriters, some of the absolute best working right now. I have no doubts about this. Which is saying something, because I've always been extremely skeptical about spin-offs involving established characters and Han Solo in particular (I'd rather the spin-offs focus on new characters, more adjacent to the main canon than an active component of it).

I will say that I hope what we're talking about here is the adventures of a teenage Han Solo or something like that. I don't like recasting characters within a single continuity unless there's an in-universe reason for that; focusing on Han as a teenager allows you to cast someone other than Harrison Ford without that being distracting.
The Artist Formerly Known as Thunder 1347

twittle
Member Avatar
Mr. Big Latin Words Man!
but my life has centered around this character and I'm I see this as a mistake.

I just thought this bit needed to be quoted in isolation; and not because of the grammatical error. ;)
Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten...

Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

Solopirate
Member Avatar

When I get flustered, I have a bit of a stutter. ;)

The Dark Moose
Member Avatar
Or not.
Rumors are centering on Chris Pratt as young Solo. I'm ok with that. Some would say the young Harrison Ford has already been done with the departed and brilliant River Phoenix. Honestly, I liked River Phoenix's portrayal of young Indy, but Indy is a very different character from Solo. Indy was comical because of his dichotomy of bold adventurer and bookish professor. Solo is comical because he's just out there. He's the cavalier swashbuckler with the heart of gold type. So the fact that Chris Pratt is more brashly comical than Phoenix would have been is just fine with me. His work in Guardians of the Galaxy was definitely a good dry run at this sort of role.

So I don't know if it will be Pratt or not, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it were. That being said, the Lucasfilm tradition is to introduce an up and coming star for this role (much like was done with River Phoenix). But Harrison Ford was a somewhat known commodity before Star Wars, so its not unthinkable to use a similarly vetted Pratt.

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time,
and your government when it deserves it.”

~ Mark Twain ~

Phil_B32

I don't see why this role needs to be automatically filled with another white, male actor. This is the time to mix things up a little bit.

Why not make Han Solo an elderly asian female? Why does Han Solo even need to be a human? Why not a Noghri?

I just think everyone is jumping the gun a bit by assuming Han Solo is going to be a white male in this new movie.

Also, isn't Pratt about the age that Ford was when he played Solo? So we're not really getting a "younger" Han Solo, but more one the age we're used to seeing him. Maybe the movie should focus on Han as a 9-10 year old swoop racer on Corellia.
Twitter: @PhilBoycott

The Dark Moose
Member Avatar
Or not.
Why does this role automatically have to be filled with a human biped? Good question, Phil.

Come on now, this is 2015.

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time,
and your government when it deserves it.”

~ Mark Twain ~

Phil_B32

Chiss Pratt
Twitter: @PhilBoycott

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

Chris Pratt is slowly but surely joining the list of actors who need to let other actors act in stuff too. :p

Either way, I agree he's about Han's age in ANH. I think we need to be thinking younger...

Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
Chris Pratt would make 0 sense, he's older than Harrison Ford was in Star Wars. 0 chance of that rumor being true. I can see him taking over as Indy but nothing makes sense about that as Han.

It'll be a teenager or young 20s guy.

Why Dubs
Member Avatar
Lord of the Boards & Basket Ball Wizard
I still think that a young Han Solo anthology movie is a bad idea but that Miller and Lord are the best directors to make a bad idea work in spite of itself.

Lets all agree there is no scenario where the words "here comes the monkey" can fail to pump you up - John Oliver

Winifred Burkle
Member Avatar

They should go with an unknown.If he pulls of the role then they get the praise for it. If he plays the part as someone playing Harrison Ford playing Han Solo, which could work, and it fails for any other reason they can blame him a la Brandon Routh.

CloakedHandmaiden
Member Avatar

My only concern about this project is casting, so I think they should make Han as young as possible.

I like Chris Pratt, but he looks nothing like Harrison Ford and is older than I think Han should be.

I'm a lot more excited about a Han movie than a Fett movie.
I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war - Queen Amidala
We must keep our faith in democracy - Queen Jamillia.
The Resistance will not be intimidated by you!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Sequel Trilogy and Anthology Films · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: