Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Star Wars News
Welcome to Port Haven! We started as a refugee camp for homeless Star Wars fans. Now we welcome you to join our community. We discuss everything from the intricate details of the Galaxy Far, Far Away to many more general topics in entertainment, world events, and silliness.

Join Port Haven!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Lucas Apologist Society; In defense of ewoks, parsecs, and Jar Jar Binks
Topic Started: 27th February 2015 - 05:21 AM (5,275 Views)
Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
Apologism is a tradition well known to Star Wars fans, and maybe more prevalent in our fandom than any other. Perhaps as prevalent as creating new 'societies' is to these boards.

Personally, "It's just bad writing" is never a good enough response for me when it comes to Star Wars. Not that it isn't bad writing, not that Star Wars isn't perfect, but that coming up with canonical explanations is far more fun and creative than hating on the things you love.

So I stand by The Death of Padme being the manipulation and perversion of the Force by Palpatine to rebirth Anakin as Darth Vader. I stand by Kessel being a black hole, and Han's statement on parsecs being a test to his passengers.

What're your favorites? What do you want to defend?
"And when I saw only one set of footprints, the LORD said Sandpeople travel in single file, to hide their numbers."
-- Kenobi 19:77
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes" isn't a literal statement on the nature of all Sith statements and actions. I don't know why so many people have a problem with this line. They believe it to be contradictory by having an absolute statement as a Jedi. "Do or do not, there is no try" is an absolute statement as well.

But contextually it makes perfect sense.

"If you're not with me, you're my enemy."

The Sith deal in absolutes, not speak in absolutes. Absolutes in judgement on the ideologies and beliefs of anyone who lies outside their slim world (galaxy?) view, by proclaiming them to be enemies, while ignoring the not so black-and-white possibilities that diversity in thought brings.

Outside of canon, it's an obvious Bush Administration metaphor, which backs up that understanding of the statement.
"And when I saw only one set of footprints, the LORD said Sandpeople travel in single file, to hide their numbers."

Cipher
Member Avatar

Han was never wrong about Millenium Falcon being the fastest ship. Han measures his ships with the power of the hyperdrive computer. Millenium Falcon manages to calculate the shortest rout through the Kessel Run and make it in less than 12 parsecs. While other ships, like an imperial shuttle, can't calculate any shorter routes, so it takes more than 12 parsecs. Don't know why people whine about that.

And about Midichlorian being the Force is wrong. The Force is just what Obi-Wan described in EPIV: "The Force is what gives Jedi its strength. It's made up from living things. It surrounds, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together." Midichlorians only allow the host to interact with the Force.
For it to allow one to interact with the Force, and being the Force, are two different things.
Edited by Cipher, 27th February 2015 - 06:21 AM.

Mainerd
Member Avatar
space nipples
They were Presented poorly. TVW made it right :p
If love was cow blood, I'd be a slaughterhouse. -Pictures for Sad Children

Cipher
Member Avatar

TVW?

storm
Member Avatar

The Vlone Wars

Cipher
Member Avatar

seriously, has George retcon something again?

Mainerd
Member Avatar
space nipples
Eat a butt :p

Cipher
Member Avatar

Eat a butt :p

A hot female one? Oh yeah.

Mainerd
Member Avatar
space nipples
Gross, you know what comes out of those right? Filthy human. :p

Cipher
Member Avatar

Gross, you know what comes out of those right? Filthy human. :p

I find your lack of faith disturbing {8<

Why Dubs
Member Avatar
Lord of the Boards & Basket Ball Wizard
Posted Image

Lets all agree there is no scenario where the words "here comes the monkey" can fail to pump you up - John Oliver

CloakedHandmaiden
Member Avatar

You guys just about killed my interest in writing here.

Seriously, though, I think this thread is a great idea Gwaihir. I agree that conon weaving is more fun than chopping bits of my favorite books.

I never heard that some people thought Midichlorians were the Force. No wonder they were upset, but I never believed that.

Personally, I don't believe there is magic in the SW universe, no matter what it looked like the Nightsisters were doing. "Magic is an illusion"-Mace Windu, The Disappeareds Part 2 That's all I need to know.

That glowing green substance they use in all their "spells" is a natural substance that can be shaped by the Force, like that special rock on Mindor in Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.
I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war - Queen Amidala
We must keep our faith in democracy - Queen Jamillia.
The Resistance will not be intimidated by you!

Cipher
Member Avatar

I never heard that some people thought Midichlorians were the Force. No wonder they were upset, but I never believed that.

You would be suprised. Most PT ragers tend to say that Lucas ruined the Force by reducing it to microscopic organism. "Remember the mythical energy in Star Wars that we call the Force? Appearantly, it's just microscopic organism. Way to destroy our childhood George."
Edited by Cipher, 28th February 2015 - 05:02 AM.

Cipher
Member Avatar

Talking about Sith Gwaihir, remember that speech Bush made (I think it's the one you mentioned about if you are not with us, then you are against us) where everyone applaud everytime he finishes a sentence. Well, that scene where Palpatine is holding the speech about Galactic Republic being reorganized into Galactic Empire does reminds me of that. Maybe it's a coincidence, or maybe it's just George taking inspiration from that speech.

CloakedHandmaiden
Member Avatar

Quote:

"Remember the mythical energy in Star Wars that we call the Force? Appearantly, it's just microscopic organism. Way to destroy our childhood George."

Some people not paying attention. Or maybe not spending every waking minute thinking about Star Wars. Whichever.

I realized after posting that a Lucas apoligist society would be for the works of Lucas, not the books, duh. That series about the genetically replicated male human troopers was the last thing he was directly involved in, so technically he signed off on a few things I don't like, but otherwise I feel no need to explain anything in the movies. Except maybe why there is no Imperial March in ANH. ;p I'm interested in other people's theories though. :) Like the Padme one. So Gwaihir, do you also believe that Anakin died because Darth Vader had been using the Dark Side to keep him alive past his time?
I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war - Queen Amidala
We must keep our faith in democracy - Queen Jamillia.
The Resistance will not be intimidated by you!

Jey
Member Avatar
Forum Abomination
So Gwaihir, do you also believe that Anakin died because Darth Vader had been using the Dark Side to keep him alive past his time?

That's a really interesting thought. I could though, easily accept that the Emperor's force lightning destroyed the life support system in his suit, but I don't really know what Vader's suit was doing and how vital it was. Luke took a lot of lightening, a lot more than Vader, so if the suit is just a way of keeping all the robotics in check, it'd be fun to guess that the manipulation that killed Padme left when the Emperor died.

Cipher
Member Avatar

Remember that Vader's suit was compromised and not "isolated" because Luke cut off his right hand. Some of the lightnings might have gone inside through his severed right arm.

YodaBauer
Member Avatar

it'd be fun to guess that the manipulation that killed Padme left when the Emperor died.

So wait. Did Padme come back to life?? I think part of the title got cut off. Star Wars: The Force Awakens Padme.
Real love is never conditional.

Professor Jango
Member Avatar
Yup. That guy.
I find this theory works better as an explanation of Vader's death than Padme's.
‪Listen to me, Butterfly.‬
‪There is only so much wine‬
‪You can drink‬
‪In one life.‬
‪It will never be enough‬
‪To save you from the bottom of your glass.‬

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Original and Prequel Trilogy · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: